I’m back visiting Chicago and made a simple dinner for my friend last night. She took me to this local market where we stocked up on vegetables. What better meat to go with it than some good ‘ol fashioned American bacon!!! I miss American bacon when I’m away and BLTs were always a fav sandwich of mine.
But since I’m low carb-ing it I made my friend a BLT on a bagel and I just added more veg rather than having a bagel. I never really liked the bread anyway. This combo was lovely, I got my 5 a day and bacon all in one!
I fried off some bacon first, removed it and then added in the chopped up carrots and broccoli stems (to the bacon drippings). Fat is not bad for you so why not use the bacon drippings, everything else in this is vegetables so you can afford a few calories!
I steamed the green beans and broccoli florets. Then tossed them in with the other veg and crumbled back in the bacon! I topped with some fresh orange cherry tomatoes at the last minute.
I added Ranch dressing also as it is another of my fav american foods!
I didn’t really measure things so I’ve just given estimates in the recipe. Try it with other veggies and let me know what you think.
- Carrots (chopped as small as you want them)
- Broccoli stem (chopped liked the carrots)
- Green beans (fresh)
- Broccoli florets
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Ranch dressing (optional)
- Fry off the bacon, remove when crispy, leaving behind the drippings.
- Add the carrots and broccoli stems, fry in bacon drippings until tender.
- Meanwhile steam the green beans and broccoli until tender.
- Toss the green beans and broccoli into the carrots and broccoli stems. Season with salt and pepper.
- Crumble bacon into large pieces and toss into the veg.
- Plate up the salad and add cherry tomatoes on top and serve with ranch dressing on the side.